As of June 1st 2012 I am officially finished with the ArduiPhone Project. I would like to use this final blog post to write a short reflection and summary of this project.
At the beginning of this academic year, I had an idea: to design a project that would be fun and educational while still meeting the requirements for my final thesis. My goal was to merge the knowledge I had learned in the previous year (while completing my Graduate Diploma in computer engineering) with iOS application development. I had always been interested in programming applications for the iPhone and figured that this would be a perfect time to start.
ArduiPhone started with a serious brainstorming session on one big piece of paper. After a few hours, the list of features was endless. The hardest part was choosing the topics that would be feasible within the one-year timespan of the project. Eventually the decision was made to use the following important design components which have all been successfully implemented in the final prototype of ArduiPhone:
- Java application written to control ArduiPhone over Wi-Fi from a host computer.
- iOS application written for iPhone to accept control from Java application.
- Arduino microcontroller that enables communication between the iPhone and the motors and sensors (with Redpark serial cable).
- Real-time video streaming.
- Camera control via Java application.
- Image capture and save to iPhone or email to specified account.
- Option to use PS3 controller for driving and camera operation.
- Ready-LED and reverse buzzer on-board.
- Motion detection and obstacle avoidance via on-board infrared sensor with intruder alert email image capabilities.
As I previously mentioned, I wanted to be able to combine as much of my previous course work as possible into this project while still keeping it fun and interesting.
Over the course of the year while completing this project I have found that if you put your mind to something, it really is possible. Two years ago I graduated college with a Bachelors Degree in Mechanical Engineering. I decided that I wanted to focus on a different area of study and found the perfect course offered at the University of Limerick. Today, I have not only received exceptional grades, but my knowledge has expanded vastly. Within this project alone, I have successfully put together multiple topics that are included under the Masters of Computer Engineering course syllabus. I have independently learned three new programming languages and researched into a multitude of background topics involved with software application development and implementation. And we can’t forget, I have also successfully designed and implemented the ArduiPhone. This course allowed me the opportunity to complete a project that I could have only ever dreamed of.
Below I have included a video demonstration of the working ArduiPhone.
Please feel free to post questions in the comments below and I will try my best to answer everything. If you are interested in reading my thesis, please do not hesitate to contact me as well.
If you’re just coming across my blog now, I’d like to invite you to take a read through my previous posts to get a feel for how exactly this project was completed. However, if you have been following my process throughout this project implementation, I’d like to thank you for your continued support.